Immunity Boosting Bread Garlic Soup
With so many colds going around at this time of year, I thought I'd share with you one of the traditional soups from my native Czech Republic that has worked its magic every time I'd come down with a cold and didn't feel like eating anything else. Not only is garlic highly nutritious, it also contains anti-oxidants, boosts your immunity and is known to combat the sickness. Therefore, it's also super good as a hang-over rescue remedy!
2 potatoes (cut in cubes)
6-7 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp of dried marjoram
1 small onion (chopped)
600ml of water
Handful of cheddar (grated)
2 round loafs of bread
1. Heat up the oil and saute the onions until soft but don't allow them to turn brown.
2. Add the potatoes, garlic, caraway seeds, salt and pepper and bring to boil until the potatoes are cooked.
3. While you wait, cut the top of the bread loaf and keep it as a lid. Scoop out the soft bread inside, making sure you don't make any holes. The bread doubles as a soup bowl so it needs to remain a thick crusty base and sides.
4. Mix in the marjoram and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Fill the 'bread bowl' with your soup, sprinkle the grated cheddar and serve immediately.